Tuesday, May 27, 2014

summer summer summertime.

Yep.

It's summer.

And yes, I've already broken that month-long flawless record of blogging consistency.

I knew it would happen.

It's summer.

Thursday was full of activity as we finished preparing for the arrival of the MYM Summer Interns.
Yes, they were arriving at 3:30, and yes, we had put many important little intricate tasks on the back burner, all of which needed to be completed that day.
It had been a crazy week.
Who could blame us!?

The interns arrived, and we were off.
Intern training retreat.
Important information, followed by a ridiculous amount of caffeine, sugar, and craziness all in the name of team building and bonding.
There's nothing like it.
It's absolutely glorious!

And that was only the beginning.

And here it is.
Tuesday.
Another blog post needing to be written, and I'm lacking the inspiration.
Completely distracted by the excitement of everything else going on around me!

I love structure.
I love routine.
I love establishing a daily discipline.
I thrive when I exist well within that established discipline.

But it's summer.
And there's a whole lot of life around me to live.
A whole lot of people around me to love.
And a pretty full calendar filled with innumerable opportunities to immerse myself in all of the above.

It's summer.
And in youth ministry, that is pretty much equivalent to an absolute whirlwind of awesomeness.

So I'm going to apologize in advance if I'm unable to maintain my Tuesday/Thursday blogging commitment.
Please have grace for me.

I'd love to be able to balance it all perfectly and carry on through the chaos without dropping any of the things I've so intentionally pursued in my personal growth.
But I can't.
Because it's summer.
And I'm going to have to have some grace for myself in that too.

So this summer I will be present.
I will take each day and all that it offers, and I will attempt to fill it with the better things, for myself and for those around me.

That will mean packed bags and missing morning Pilates.
It will mean too many pieces of pizza, and exhaustion that tempts me to turn to the Red Bull.
It will mean inconsistency.
It will chaos.

But in the midst of it all there is some incredible potential.
The kind of stuff you only experience when you let go of the need to control.
Surrender so you can have your hands free to grip it all.

And that's what I plan to do this summer.
And I think it's going to be great!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are prepared in the best way you can be for summer! And yes, extending grace to ourselves is absolute freedom. I think that's what Jesus does for us, extends grace, and so when we extend grace to ourselves, our actions are like that of Jesus, and we are displaying Jesus to others. Thanks for reminding me of a lesson I've been trying to learn as well. :) Your heart is absolutely beautiful Jenna!

    ReplyDelete